I’ve decided to keep track of my usage of things like water, electricity, etc, on the boat. To that end, and because today is the first of a new month, I filled the water tank, emptied the toilet cassette and counted how much fuel I have.
I started this morning with the following things:
- 2x full bags of Homefire coal.
- 1x partial bag of house coal
- 1x full box and 1x partial box of Zip firelighters
- 1x partial bag of Poundland “Magic” kindling – essentially some strips of wood dipped in wax which remove the need for firelighters.
- 2x Poundland firelogs.
- A full water tank.
- An empty toilet cassette, though I am attempting the separation of solids and liquids where practical.
- A notation of 18841 kWh on the shoreline electricity meter.
I’m going to keep track during the month of what I spend/use, and update this accordingly.
- 2nd May: 1x bag of normal kindling from Poundland – £1.
- 7th May: 3x firelogs from £1 shop – £3.
- 14th May: filled the water tank to overflowing.
- 20th May: 5x firelogs from Wilko – £5, 1x bag of Homefire heat logs – £4.
- 24th May: 2x firelogs from Poundland – £2.
Additionally, I’ve foraged several logs to use for kindling.
Filled the water tank on 14th, and again on 24th. Using the washing machine puts a big dent in the amount of water in the tank.
Emptied the cassette on 24th. Twent four days usage from a single 21L tank. Separating the liquids has been a very good idea.